Sunday 24 July 2011

Provence - Wednesday 6th July

Today was not a day for venturing far afield for LT and her mum and I.  LT’s dad went on a very long walk, so we wandered into the village and went out for lunch to recover from the shock of such exercise!  LT and I took her mum out to lunch at a cafe at the bottom of the village (excuse me, WE took her out to lunch?  What did you contribute exactly? – LT)  My appearance fee from here of course, everyone knows that as a world famous bear I command an appearance fee, I donated that... (Uh huh – LT)  This wasn’t exactly described as a salade geante, but it wasn’t really that small either, and this is after LT’s eaten some of it!  After Italian yesterday, today was warm goat’s cheese on tapenade covered bread with sun dried tomatoes and olives, plus some normal tomatoes.  There were anchovies too, but they were quickly released onto LT’s mum’s plate...


I got a Jack sized coffee to wash it down:


Before we wandered down the village to the municipal carpark, to boggle our minds a bit with the hedge carving:


Then we stopped to look back up at the villages from the wine cave, firstly Crillon Le Brave, and then Bedoin:



Before walking down to the vineyard just outside the village, with a view up to the village of Crillon Le Brave:


This is the roundabout as you come into the village from Carpentras.  As Bedoin is the last village on the road up Mont Ventoux, it’s the main base for people trying to cycle up it, trying to pretend they’re doing the tour de France.  They wear some very silly outfits to do it mind you!  You can see the white top of the mountain in the background – apparently it’s white in summer because it’s so windy it blows any grass and things off the top.  I wish there was some wind blowing today, it was very hot out!


‘Look ma, no paws!’:


The lavender beside the road was really humming, and I don’t mean it smelled!  Look at all the bees crawling all over it:


Adverts on the way back into the village for my favourite thing, the local wine :oD (We’re definitely drying you out! – LT)



We stopped at the cave again on the way back, do you think they’d notice if we stole one of these?


This is the roundabout at the bottom of the main village street looking up towards the church.  The French aren’t very good at roundabouts, you can tell by all the black marks on the bits they aren’t meant to drive on!


This is the Centre Culturel, and it was certainly multicultural today, with Danes, Dutch and French from all over the country parked outside it:


This is looking up from the carpark outside the Centre Culturel towards the church.  Those aren’t headless people on the railings, by the way, just dummies from the clothes shop across the road...


They have some funny paintings on the buildings here too, but not like in Avignon.  Look how rude they are!


Here’s the full wall, an advert for the estate agents in the building:


This is the primary school in the village square, but it’s all closed now for the summer:


It was definitely time for another drink, especially after we saw that it was 34 C outside in the shade!  Unfortunately LT was insisting on sticking with the diet coke option:


As we walked back up the village, we saw a sign for a giant aioli on the 13th July.  LT and I had visions of lots of people crowded round a big bowl with vegetables and things to dunk, but apparently it’s a sort of local alternative to a barbecue, with paella and all sorts of other things.  No aioli though apparently...


We passed the grand ‘boulodrome’ on the way back too.  We had to laugh, because the next village on the other side of the mountain has a very big and elaborate sign on either side of their boules pitches, but they only have about a quarter of the area that Bedoin has.  Obviously they’re cheaper on this side of the mountain...


And here are the old men playing boules:



Here are all the signs you see on your way into the village from the gite:



This is the house next door to the gite:


And this is the gite itself.  Isn’t it tiny? (I think the phrase you’re searching for is bijoux – LT)  No, I was definitely looking for tiny!


We had a bit of a rest for the remainder of the afternoon before we headed up to Le Mas Des Vignes again for dinner.  It’s such a tough life!  LT’s mum and dad got the house special champagne cocktails to start, so I acquired some:


With all the funny weather that rolled in in the afternoon, we got an interesting sort of a sunset:


Man, I hate to see good wine go to waste:


Still, at least I got a bit of food to mop it up:


LT completely forgot to take a photo of the main course, but she did remember to catch me with the wine bottle:


Before she made me hit this stuff instead – mean old LT:


Decisions, decisions (you can bet which one he made too! – LT):


LT thought she would get me to do another death-defying stunt by perching me on the wall of the restaurant where I could have fallen down onto the road below! (Not unless you’d leapt, that wall was about a foot and a half wide! – LT)


Next up was another cheesy shot.  We certainly weren’t going to be worrying about vampires tonight with all that preserved garlic!


LT said I was lucky I didn’t just get this dry crust after all the wine I’d been drinking!


But she did concede to share desert with me, which was chocolate delice with fresh strawberry icecream:


Of course we had to have the macaroon biscuits and pomegranate marshmallows again too to round things off.  LT’s mum had already eaten hers by this point:


5 comments:

The Bear's Blog said...

Hi Jack,

I have an idea, maybe you could talk LT into getting you your own wine barrel. That way you could have a little "nip" anytime you want, and you wouldn't be subject to all her "drying out" comments.

Hugs

Alan said...

HI Jack, you didn't mention the terrible blisters I got because I wore the wrong socks. I sort of hobbled to dinner didn't I? We had so much stuff in the car on the way home there'd be no room for your barrel if we got you one. Still. a lot of the space was filled with our wine purchases so if you come down with Katy this weekend I'm sure we might share a little with you.
Alan

The Bear's Blog said...

Ah ha - they brought wine home for themselves but not for you? Oh Jack - this is un-bear-able!!!!

Hm, blisters - you would think humans would know what to wear on their feet when hiking. Maybe there is some "justice" after all. I know Prudence would agree.

Happy day, little bear, happy day.

BIG hugs

Alan said...

I said he could have some of the stuff we brought home, so stop fomenting trouble Prudence. As far as the socks are concerned I was very annoyed - they were expensive and shouldn't have caused me trouble - I'll have to relegate them to wearing with trainers. I have other pairs by the same maker and they're just fine so go figure.
Alan

The Bear's Blog said...

Weak excuse, very weak.... (o:

The socks - return them, if you can.