Tuesday 11 October 2011

Skye - Day 2

Well I was MEANT to have posted a good chunk of this yesterday, but you can't get the staff these days and she went to bed instead!!! (it was 1:30 am, I was tired! - LT)

So onto the first full day here.  It was a rather grey day on Sunday, but we headed down to the Fairy Pools at Glen Brittle (I have tried, and failed, to find a decent standalone map of Skye to show you where we are, so should you wish to play along, go to Google maps and search for Isle Of Skye, we're staying in Barcadale, about 2/3 of the way up on the left hand side - LT).

The Fairy Pools are a series of waterfalls and pools formed by streams coming down the back of the Cuillin mountains about half way down Glen Brittle, which is on the west coast of the island, about 3/4 of the way down.  We had to take our life in our paws hopping from rock to rock to cross 3 streams just to get to them, and LT may have had a small water in wellie moment when Cole stood in front of her as she tried to land, so her wellie went back in the stream.  Still, it wasn't tooooo bad (Ahem, WE took our life in our paws?!  And how do you know it wasn't too bad with a wet foot? - LT)  Details...  Anyway, after a long trek we got there

Here I am, sitting next to one of the pools:




And here I am, risking life and limb, sitting by one of the falls:



Huh, I'm sure the song said 'Lay me down on a bed of roses' not 'Lay me down on a bed of jaggy heather'



If you wanted proof that the fairies are about, here's some toadstools:



I think something's been having a bit of a nibble at this one, perhaps Alice has been past here:



At this point, we decided enough was enough, and went back to the car, at which point the heavens opened and it POURED with rain.  Nice timing on my part demanding that we return don't you think? (Your idea, uh huh... - LT)

We had lunch at the hotel at Sligachan - it was meant to be honey glazed goat's cheese with poached 5 spice pears accompanied by salad, but the honey appears to have missed the cheese, and we're still searching for the pears...  There was a dod of chutney though, that may have been it, but it didn't seem to have any pears in it, although it did have a raisin that we could identify...  Anyway, with ominously solid grey skies, and ongoing rain, we decided to head back to the cottage for the rest of the day.  In a brief dry patch I got my photo taken outside the cottage:



Back at the cottage I supervised the cooking of a chicken massala and pilau rice for dinner:



I also supervised cutting out fabric for making birds for a mobile for LT's granny's Christmas pressie:



And finally I supervised the eating of dinner:

1 comment:

Kays Kids said...

Sounds as though you are very busy.